Need a little energy boost before your run, fitness class or game? What mom doesn’t! Want a delicious NO BAKE energy bar that’s quick and easy to make that will help you get kick started? We’ve got it for you!
Behold the “Lucy Bar”….an incredibly easy to make bar that only requires four…..yes FOUR ingredients! Based on the popular Lärabar- Cherry Pie bar found in stores, the Lucy Bar comes from the book Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook by author Camilla V. Saulsbury and was featured in Women’s Health Magazine.
These are perfect for making up a big batch at the beginning of the week to get you through all of your workouts and the DIY aspect lets you control the ingredients and portion sizes.
Sounds Fantastic? Let’s whip up a batch now!
Prep Time: 10 min (10 even with kids underfoot!)
Refrigerate Time: 30 mins
Bake Time: NONE!!
Total Time: 40 min
Makes: 6 bars
- 1 cup packed dried cherries
- 1/4 cup packed pitted soft dates
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional)
Optional: Instead of cherries try your favorite dried fruit….get DIY creative!
1. Line a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper
2. Combine the cherries, dates, and warm water in a small bowl. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes until the fruit is soft (time will vary according to the dryness of the fruit). Drain and pat dry.
3. Meanwhile, place the almonds in a food processor and process until finely chopped (but not a paste). Add the drained fruit, cinnamon, and salt (if using). Pulse until the fruit is finely chopped and blended and the mixture begins to stick together and clump
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Place a large piece of parchment paper, wax paper, or plastic wrap atop the bar mixture and use it to spread and flatten the mixture evenly in the pan; leave the paper or plastic wrap to cover.
5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
6. Using the liner, lift the mixture from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Uncover and cut into 6 bars
Nutritional Profile per bar: Calories: 183; Fat: 8 g; Saturated Fat: 0.6 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 3 mg; Carbs: 27.8 g; Fiber: 3.4 g; Sugar: 19.4 g; Protein: 4.3