We all know that breakfast is an important meal and especially important for sports moms to keep our body fueled. But between getting our kids to eat and then off to school or morning activities it is the easiest meal to forget for ourselves.
The Busy Mom Grab and Go Breakfast Muffin is the perfect low-sugar solution to this dilemma! This recipe is adapted from one found on the blog Oh How She Glows and requires minimal ingredients, mess and prep time. Just what a busy sports mom (or ANY mom) needs! Grab one of these nutritious muffins and a banana as you run out the door in the morning and face the day.
• 1 ripe banana
• 2 t olive oil
• 1 organic brown egg
• 1/4 cup brown sugar- not packed
• 1/2 cup flax seed
• 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup oats
• 1/2 t baking soda
• 3/4 cup (or more!) fresh blueberries
Optional: Instead of blueberries try raspberries, blackberries, your favorite nuts, dried fruit pieces or dark chocolate chunks. Get creative!
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with papers
2. Mash banana
3. Mix oil, egg, and brown sugar in with banana
4. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients
5. Add dry ingredients into wet and stir. Do not over mix.
6. Stir in blueberries
7. Spoon into muffin pan. Feel free to fill to the top- they won’t rise too much
8. Bake for 15-20 min
Nutritional Profile (per muffin):
9 grams of healthy fats
6 grams fiber
6.5 grams of protein